Tuesday, May 31, 2011

HOW TO MAKE CULTURE, part 2

"I believe in each scene of this Autobiography, I'm proud to say. I'm happy with the results...A busy life, happy. Sure, I broke the rules by revealing some of my suffering and anxieties. But the times we live in demand a little pathos. I had to make myself seem believable." - pg. 319

"I never want to buy drugs from the police again. Only from real, safe, sane, professional drug-dealers." - pg. 259

"...but what strikes you as banal is in actuality a series of potentially lethal traps. They want to catch you by any means necessary. One way or the other, to expose you." - pg. 249

"The most hated men in history become myths. Everybody's afraid of them, secretly wants to be them. I'd love to see normal people be uneasy when I approach. Good men are inevitably forgotten. Saints are monotonous." pg. 235

"Without monumental egos
art is no better than housework" - pg. 164

"It's enough to know I'm cold. The politics of apathy. No one knows how much work this takes. They don't know the effort I make to repress myself. It borders on self-mutilation." pg. 146

make culture. rescue the anonymous.

Brandão, Ignácio de Loyola. Anonymous Celebrity. Trans. Nelson H. Vieira.
Champaign: Dalkey Archive Press, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment